Iggy’s Ravens Report – November 6, 2012
News and Personal Thoughts:
Towson is planning to discontinue their Soccer and Baseball programs, much to the chagrin of students and alumni… Loyola is favored to win the MAAC in Basketball this season, after last years trip to the NCAA tournament.
When the dust settles, a W is a W. Moving on to the next game, the Ravens are back at home where they have been nearly invincible lately, demonstrating their Dr. Jeckyl offense. This is a must win, as the remaining schedule could be rather nightmarish if we truly have not turned the corner. After a rookie RB posted 251 yards on Oakland last week including 4 runs of 40+ yards (first time since 1930), the Ravens should be planning a strict heavy Rice diet on Sunday. The defense did better last week, but remember that it was Cleveland. Peas called the game from the booth, and this may have marked a turning point in his coaching style as he was better able to see the field and provide guidance and adjustments. This game should be a win where the Ravens tune up the changes made during the bye week in preparations for back to back road games where the Ravens first travel to arch-enemy stealer country and then head to the west coast for a twilight zone game in San Diego, where it feels like we play (and lose) every year. With stealers regrouped and posting the leagues best defense (again) despite all the injuries, the Ravens need to find a way to keep their opponents off guard, and our defense off the field in coming weeks. The future starts now.
Of the top 55 Free Agents listed in Bleacher Report, only 2 of them are predicted to land in Baltimore. Tampa’s Carlos Pena (.197 with 19 HR and 61 RBI) is expected to sign for about half of his 2012 salary of $7.25M. Joe Saunders, who grew up an Orioles fan from Northern Virginia, is expected to be resigned to a 2 or 3 year deal. Another articles lists the top 9 targets for the Orioles, but what really remains to be seen is if the Orioles have been elevated above their present Tier 3 status in the eyes of prospective free agents after their first playoff run in 15 years.
The Als (11-7) lost a relatively meaningless game to Winnipeg (6-12), 19-11, after clinching first place and a bye last week. This weeks games features Edmonton at Toronto, and Saskatchewan at Calgary. Montreal will host the winner of game 1, and BC will host the winner of game 2 on November 18, with the winners meeting in the Grey Cup.
The Blast open the season with a 23-13 win against Chicago last Saturday night. The same two teams will meet again on Friday night, with Syracuse visiting on Saturday.
Chesapeake Bayhawks: (Home games at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium)
Nothing to Report.
2013 schedule has been posted. The Charm will play at Jacksonville on May 25; host Philadelphia on June 8; Host Cleveland on July 12, and visit Omaha on August 3. Playoffs will start August 17.
Capitals (See website for more details):
Talk resumes… action does not.
Wizards (See website for more details):
Season opened last week with back to back losses to Cleveland and Boston. Nothing has changed.
Mystics (See website for more details):
Nothing to report.
D.C.United (See website for more details):
United (17-10-8) tied New York (16-9-10) 1-1 in the first game of a 2-game aggregate series. Game 2 is November 7, at RFK. Winner plays the winner of Kansas City/Houston.
What do you want to see in the Ravens report? What should be scrapped? Actually, never mind. No one is reading this anyway so you probably won’t know the difference. Send an email to iggy at tealdragon.net. Thanks!
|Thursday, August 9, 2012||@Atlanta Falcons||7:30 PM||W 31-17|
|Friday, August 17, 2012||Detroit Lions||8:00 PM||L 27-12|
|Thursday, August 23, 2012||Jacksonville Jaguars||7:30 PM||W 48-17|
|Thursday, August 30, 2012||@Saint Louis Rams||8:00 PM||L 31-17|
|2012 Regular Season|
|Monday, September 10, 2012||Cincinnati Bengals||18-14 Overall, 11-6 Home||7:00 PM||W 44-13|
|Sunday, September 16, 2012||@Philadelphia Eagles||1-1-1 Overall, 1-0-1 Away||1:00 PM||L 24-23|
|Sunday, September 23, 2012||New England Patriots||1-7 Overall, 0-2 Home||8:20 PM||W 31-30|
|Thursday, September 27, 2012||Cleveland Browns||19-7 Overall, 10-3 Home||8:20 PM||W 23-16|
|Sunday, October 7, 2012||@Kansas City Chiefs||3-3 Overall, 2-0 Away||1:00 PM||W 9-6|
|Sunday, October 14, 2012||Dallas Cowboys||3-0 Overall, 2-0 Home||1:00 PM||W 31-29|
|Sunday, October 21, 2012||@Houston Texans||6-0 Overall, 3-0 Away||1:00 PM||L 43-13|
|Sunday, November 4, 2012||@Cleveland Browns||19-7 Overall, 9-4 Away||1:00 PM||W 25-15|
|Sunday, November 11, 2012||Oakland Raiders||6-1 Overall, 4-0 Home||1:00 PM|
|Sunday, November 18, 2012||@pittsburgh steelers||14-21 Overall, 6-12 Away||8:20 PM|
|Sunday, November 25, 2012||@San Diego Chargers||4-4 Overall, 2-4 Away||4:05 PM|
|Sunday, December 2, 2012||pittsburgh steelers||14-21 Overall, 8-9 Home||4:25 PM|
|Sunday, December 9, 2012||@Washington Redskins||3-1 Overall, 2-1 Away||1:00 PM|
|Sunday, December 16, 2012||Denver Broncos||6-3 Overall, 5-0 Home||1:00 PM|
|Sunday, December 23, 2012||New York Giants||3-1 Overall, 1-0 Home||1:00 PM|
|Sunday, January 30, 2012||@Cincinnati Bengals||18-14 Overall, 7-9 Away||1:00 PM|
- NFL: Tie Breaking Procedures
- Johnny Road Trip NFL Schedules 2010-2017
- PrintYourBrackets.com Good source of printable team schedules
- NFL Rule Book
- Week 9:
- Chargers over KC (+8.5). Chiefs looking a lot more like the Chefs lately. … and that hasn’t changed.
- Ravens over Cleveland (+3.5), but take the points. Other than first game of the season, and our last game, when have we put anyone away or been put away? For once, a win with breathing room, but only at the end.
- Packers over Zona (+10.5), but take the points. Awful large number of points to leave on the board. Rodgers is definitely back.
- Detroit over Jax (+3.5), but take the points. Lions are 1-3 as the favorite, and the Jags have had 3 games overturned on points so far this season. Not this time.
- Bears over Titans (+3.5). 2 mismatched teams. … and the score reflected that.
- Denver over Cincinnati (+3.5). Should be a good game, but Cincinnati is really struggling lately. …and they continue to struggle.
- Washington over Carolina (+3.5). The stats say I should take Carolina, but gut says the skins are returning. Should have listened to the stats!
- Fins over Indy. Miami might have something this year. Miami still has something, but came up short here.
- Houston over Buffalo (+10.5). Blow out of the week. Not quite, but Houston still covered.
- Seattle over Minnesota, but take the points. Seattle has the edge at home, but Vikings have been surprising so far. Hawks win, and Vikes failed to cover.
- Tampa (+1.5) over Oakland. Never mind the East to West Twilight zone, Tampa will find a way to win in Oakland. Turned out to be a real shoot out… or run-over in Oakland’s case.
- Giants over pittsburgh (+3.5), but take the points. Giants need to step it up to beat stealers who have the #2 D in the NFL, despite their injuries. Giants should have won, but failed to hold the lead against the leagues now #1 defense.
- Falcons over Boys (+4.5). Falcons are for real this year… The boys, not so much… Boys almost covered, if it weren’t for a FG in the closing minutes.
- Saints over Philly (+3.5), but take the points. Saints at home, and Vick should play just good enough to lose. Philly is in shambles.
- This Week:: 11-3 Straight Up, and 7-7 Against the Spread
- Season:: 82-50 Straight Up, and 67-65 Against the Spread
- Week 10
- Colts over Jags (+2.5). Colts appear to have Luck.
- Ravens over Raiders (+7.5), but take the points. I am still not sure that we have found ourselves.
- Tampa over San Diego (+2.5). Tampa is the real deal this year, while San Diego is… well… San Diego.
- Miami over Tennessee (+5.5). Fins have their own Rookie QB to brag about.
- Pats over Bills (+10.5). Pats ran up the score in the first meeting, and that was in Buffalo.
- Broncos over Carolina (+3.5). Something tells me I should take Carolina again, but I’ll stick to the more reliable Manning.
- Giants over Cincinnati (+4.5). Giants may have struggled against pittsburgh, but they will find themselves this week against another Bengal team that has failed to meet expectations.
- Minnesota (+2.5) over Detroit. Minnesota will look to find that something special that had them off to a great start that has since fizzled, plus they are at home.
- Falcons over Saints (+2.5). I also get the feeling that this could be their first loss of the season.
- Seattle over Jets (+6.5), but take the points. This was a difficult pick with the erratic Jets, but at least I am sure that Seattle will win at home.
- Dallas over Philly (+1.5). Two teams going no where. Flip a coin. I did.
- Niners over Rams (+11.5), but take the points. Niners might cover that spread, but Rams are 5-3 ATS, with 2 overturns.
- Houston (+1.5) over Bears. Texans have 12th ranks Offense and 3rd ranked Defense. Bears have 25th offense and 6th rank defense. Your call: Who’d you pick?
- squealers over KC (+12.5). Squealer fans always say that the Ravens fans whine about the refs, but I heard from at least 2 squealer fans last week about the horrible officiating. Can we make them whine some more, please? It made me feel good.
- Knockout Round (1-1)
- LA over Vancouver. LA is +12 in Goals this season and put up the 2nd highest Goals For totals in the league this season, while Vancouver is -6, and scored the 3rd fewest goals. LA won 2-1
- Chicago over Houston. Chicago finished the season 1-0-2 against Houston and have the home field advantage for this 1 game playoff. Houston won 2-1
- Conference Semifinals
- KC over Houston. KC had the best record in the conference for a reason, although Houston won the regular season match-ups, 1-0-2. Houston up 2-0 after Leg 1!
- DC over NY. Season series was tied 1-1-1. DC has the home field for game 2. Game 1 tied at 1
- SJ over LA. San Jose had the best record in the league, and won the season series 2-0-1. Earthquakes up 1-0, after game 1.
- Salt Lake over Seattle. Real Salt Lake won the season series 1-0-2. Game 1 ended in a 1-1 tie.
- Knockout Round (1-1)
Please send comments to Iggy at tealdragon.net